I started my new job this week.  So far, it’s been everything I hoped and more, however I realize it’s only been one week, so the honeymoon phase is far from over.  Even still, it feels really good to be back doing what I love, in a coming home sort of way.  I even get to walk to work, like I used to (except, instead of walking down State St., my commute is across the park – with the summer months pending, this is extremely pleasant).  I was hit with a massive bout of nostalgia walking back from the Starbucks the other day – at my old old job (that is, the first comp analysis job), my coworkers would take afternoon “warm beverage” breaks to the Dunkin Donuts across the street.  Okay, yes, Dunkin Donuts kinda sucks, but it wasn’t about where the coffee was from.  It was stupid and silly, and I was walking by myself and not with a gaggle of coworkers in suits, but remembering this nonetheless made me burst with happiness.  Perhaps it’s because when I evoked that memory previously, it was with a twinge of sadness because I missed my old job.  This time?  It was exciting, because that old job got me this new job.

Anyway, the biggest adjustment so far has been the work hours.  Not the fact that I’m now a 40 hour employee (as opposed to a 37.5 hour employee, that is), as the extra half hour really doesn’t phase me one way or another, particularly if I’m busy and engaged in what I’m doing.  No, it’s the schedule itself – I now work 8-4:30, as opposed to 9-5.  I’ve been getting up 15 minutes earlier every morning, being more diligent about working out as soon as I get up (or, at least, within 20 min or so), and then I just skip my usual net surfing in the morning and head on my “commute” across Washington Park.  It gets me to work by about 7:45 am, which is a considerable improvement to running to the door at 8:59 am.

However, this gives me no internet surf time in the morning, except maybe a 20 min Twitter check pre-workout.  This means, if I have a busy evening planned (which is not uncommon, even if it is just errands), there’s no internet surfing time.  We got back from the Finger Lakes on Sunday evening.  On Monday, we ran a bunch of errands and then I dove in to finish Mockingjay (If you haven’t yet read the Hunger Games trilogy, you really need to start).  On Tuesday, we went to my mother’s to fetch Roscoe and have dinner at the local brewery with some friends.

When I finally logged into Google Reader Wednesday afternoon, it was at over 80 posts.  Talk about overwhelming.

Except, the blogs in my reader are there for a reason.  Some I comment on more voraciously than others.  Some I may only skim the post if it’s something that’s not immediately grabbing, if I’m in a hurry.  (If it is a lazy Sunday morning and Chris is sleeping?  I read every word.)  But I read them all, and I try to click through on a regular basis.  It’s important to me, to support writers I find interesting.  Not to mention, of course, that I ENJOY reading your blogs.  They’re fun, they’re informative, they’re interesting, they provide vibrant community.

I just am, now, going to have to creatively budget my time to read them, which is certainly not impossible.  However, I also need to know not to let an 80+ Google Reader overwhelm me.  If I’m reading a great novel and want to finish it, for example, I don’t want me RSS feed to feel like a chore I have to undertake first. 🙂